O Available Clipart
O Abbreviations Key

O Contact Moderators

O
t a l k    
Kevin And KLIF

David Gold Show Forum: Talk Radio: ---Archived Posts - 2001---: Kevin And KLIF

Davidtalker2

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:47 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Gang. I am concerned about my friend and fellow talk show host Kevin McCarthy. He has not been on KLIF for awhile and his website is not being updated. I usually talk to him frequently, however, I didn't want to bother him while his Dad has been very ill. I haven't talked to him for a couple of weeks.

Pray for him,Murphy and his Dad in Kentucky.One thing is close to certain-he will be back on DFW radio soon.

Sarge

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:01 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I've noticed it, too. Has he been sacked?

Mphare

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:26 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I hope not, except that maybe he can hook up with a station that has some class. At this time he is the only thing giving the "Bigger Mistake" any class.

I feel like I've known Kevin a long time, he has been such a big part of radio around these parts.

I hope and pray that he, his wife and his dad will be ok and pull through whatever happens.

Drwho

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:26 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been concerned since they cut his show to two hours and stopped allowing him to do his show the way he seems to like to do it. I feel that he's not enjoying his work any more.

Using that as a base and throw in some family problems and a history of depression, I too share your concerns. He needs his friends more than ever.

Marti

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:12 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David-
I'm sure Kevin would appreciate hearing from
you- especially if his dad isn't doing well-He may be busy but in times like that it is
always good to hear from someone who cares.
I have done volunteer work for hospice and grief recovery groups and the families often are sad because no one calls them because either they don't know what to say or because they don't want to bother them. I would encourage you to give him a call.

Davidtalker2

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:44 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I talked to Kevin. He has had a difficult couple of weeks. But, he will be back soon and better than ever.

Drwho

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:02 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Thanks David,

You enjoy a better level of contact. If his anxiety problem has returned, he will need support from his close friends. I know (Better living through chemistry) I've gone through it. My bout with depression began with the death of my father.

Deanna

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 06:23 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

MP said: " I hope not, except that maybe he can hook up with a station that has some class. At this time he is the only thing giving the "Bigger Mistake" any class."

Amen.

At this point, (IMHpersonalO - the best thing for Kevin to do is to hightail it away from that s(t)inking ship. Their ratings came out today... dropped even lower to a POINT 9.

I had hopes last fall, but unfortunately, management there is obviously as... sucky... as it has been since they started screwing with David 3 years ago.

/rant

Davidtalker2

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:05 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

KLIF went down from a 1.4 to a 0.9 in the latest ratings out today. They are headed south and have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The new group there simply does not understand this market.

Both Kevin and I warned them about the new Morning show,Jat and Hillarie. Those two my kids refer to as "The stupid people". They are so bad I feel sorry for them sometimes.

The afternoon guy is all noise. As we say "all hat no cattle". I have no problem with hosts(and I do it at times) being loud, opinionated and shrill. Thing is you gotta be able to back it up. This guy doesn't have the ability to do that so he's just loud and mean.

As long as mornings and afternoons are in this condition they will continue to falter. They don't have much time. This was a bad ratings book for all four Susquehanna properties in DFW. Ticket took a big hit.

I am glad I am not around that place at the moment.I continue to be close to a permanent new home. In the meantime I will be doing more fill in work at two awesome radio stations KSFO and WABC. Seeing these two places operate gives me a keen appreciation of how it is supposed to be done. They stand in stark contrast to the management of my old home. Sad. It didn't have to be that way.

Drwho

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:13 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I heard that WBAP is picking up Neal Boortz. Have you heard any rumors? I would love to have him back in this market. I think KLIF was insane for dumping him ... or did Boortz dump them? I really liked his program. He was rude, but he usually backed up what he said. I even remember him admitting when he had been duped.

Davidtalker2

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:34 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Boortz is coming back to WBAP. He will be on in the evening on tape delay. WBAP had a nice ratings book, BTW.They are creaming KRLD and KLIF is no factor.

Mphare

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:38 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Not being in the business that is show.. I don't know what a rating of 1.4 or 0.9 really means.. I know it doesn't sound good. I heard the Russ Martin show has, apparently, hit a new high, but I don't know the number.
David, on you recommendation I started tuning into FOXSports in the mornings. I can hang with that, though I am sorry to hear about the Ticket. Is Norm H. still with them?
I know what you mean about KSFO. I've been travelling to San Jose, CA. about every other weeks since the beginning of the year. I tune the radio to 560 AM in the rent car and don't listen to anything else while I'm there.
I remember the old days when Kevin and Al Carroll (I think Kevin dubbed him "Super Flush") were on. Ah, those were the days..

The real shame about KLIF is that, for a time, they were at the fore front of technology. The first on the internet, really good programming all day long. Long history of talk in this area (especially if you add in the old WFAA which I think alot of the originals came from when 1190 went talk, I may be wrong on that point.)
Now they are in the toilet and throwing more c**p down the drain with evey turn.
I don't tune in 570 any more.. It's just too sad..

Lmcna56

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 09:53 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David, didn't KSFO and WABC discontinue streaming on internet? It would be my luck to have waited for you all this time, you find a home, and I cannot listen!!

Davidtalker2

Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:12 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Nearly everyone has discontinued streaming. The Union wants people who voice commercials to be compensated when their spots are streamed. Musicians want royalties also.

They will eventually work this out. It's in everyone's interest.

Davidtalker2

Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 05:45 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

KZPS-FM, Kraddick among winners in latest ratings
04/28/2001

By Al Brumley / The Dallas Morning News

Somebody out there likes classic rock. KZPS-FM (92.5), the Dallas area's home to everything from Steve Miller to Pink Floyd, burned up the winter Arbitron ratings.

Radio ratings

Here are the top 20 Dallas-Fort Worth radio stations, according to the winter Arbitron survey, which ran from Jan. 4 to March 28. Diary keepers must be at least 12 years old, and each entry must represent at least 15 minutes of radio listening between 6 a.m. and midnight to be included in the survey. Each share point reflects 1 percent of the audience.

Rank/Station Winter share Fall/Rank
1. KKDA-FM (104.5) 6.0 6.4/1
2. KPLX-FM (99.5) 5.7 5.9/2
3. WBAP-AM (820) 5.3 5.1/4
4. KSCS-FM (96.3) 5.0 5.6/3
tie KHKS-FM (106.1) 5.0 4.8/5
6. KBFB-FM (97.9) 4.2 3.5/7 (tie)
7. KZPS-FM (92.5) 4.1 3.5/7 (tie)
tie KLUV-FM (98.7) 4.1 4.2/6
9. KLNO-FM (94.1) 3.5 3.4/10 (tie)
tie KOAI-FM (107.5) 3.5 3.1/13
11. KEGL-FM (97.1) 3.4 3.0/14
tie KVIL-FM (103.7) 3.4 3.4/10 (tie)
13. KRLD-AM (1080) 3.2 3.3/12
14. KDMX-FM (102.9) 3.1 2.8/15 (tie)
tie KDGE-FM (102.1) 3.1 2.6/17
16. KTCK-AM (1310) 2.8 3.5/7 (tie)
17. KLTY-FM (100.7) 2.7 1.7/22 (tie)
18. KRBV-FM (100.3) 2.2 2.1/19 (tie)
19. KYNG-FM (105.3) 2.1 0.9/28
20. KMEO-FM (96.7) 2.0 2.3/18

Source: Arbitron

The station ranked seventh overall but tied for first among listeners between the ages of 25 and 54 (known in radio jargon as "25-54") one of the demographics advertisers slobber over.

The station's morning team also pulled in some good numbers. Bo & Jim jumped from 10th to seventh place overall, 2.9 to 4.1, and from eighth to fourth place 25-54, 3.9 to 5.5.

The ratings, which were released Friday, also found "K104" KKDA-FM (104.5) at its usual No.1 spot overall and 25-54 (where it tied with KZPS). Its newest competitor, "The Beat" KBFB-FM (97.9), rose from seventh to sixth place overall, from a 3.5 to a 4.2 share.

And no doubt there were huge sighs of relief being released at "Kiss FM" KHKS-FM (106.1), where morning man Kidd Kraddick returned to his usual No.1 spot after having fallen to No.2 last fall for the first time in four years.

In country music, "The Wolf" KPLX-FM (99.5) and KSCS-FM (96.3) continue to wage a bloody war. KPLX ranked second overall with a 5.7 share; KSCS ranked fourth with a 5.0 share. But among the 25-54 crowd, KSCS pulled out a victory, landing in third place with a 5.5 share. KPLX ranked fourth at 5.3.

KTCK-AM (1310) fell from seventh to 16th place overall, dropping from a 3.5 to a 2.8 share, and from fifth to 12th among the older listeners, from a 4.8 share to a 3.5.

Elsewhere, Howard Stern made his presence felt, moving KYNG-FM (105.3) up in morning drive from 20th to 15th place overall, 1.6 to 2.8, and zooming into ninth place 25-54 with a 3.8 share, up from the station's previous 18th-place 1.7 share.

In news/talk, WBAP-AM (820) continues to lead the pack, ranking third among all stations with a 5.3 share and eighth 25-54 with a 4.5 share.

At KLIF-AM (570), the rant-and-rave approach to news/talk hasn't found an audience yet. The station ranked 28th overall with a 0.9 share, and 27th place among the older crowd, where it also earned a 0.9 share.

Mphare

Monday, May 07, 2001 - 10:44 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David, I heard on another station last week that Kevin might have suffered a mild heart attack. Now this station is known for blowing things out of proportions and making up stories, but somehow I didn't get that feeling. I've never met Kevin, but I feel I have known him most of my adult life.
I sincerely hope and pray they everything is alright with Kevin and his family.

Davidtalker2

Monday, May 07, 2001 - 01:24 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

From yesterday's DMN.
Scanning the dial

In case you missed the news last week, KLIF afternoon talk host Kevin McCarthy had a "very minor" heart attack on April 22. He says he suffered no permanent damage. No word yet on when he'll return to the air

Marti

Monday, May 07, 2001 - 05:55 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Very sorry to hear that Kevin had a heart attack. Did he ever manage to quit smoking?
I will pray for a speedy recovery. Many factors of CAD can be controlled.

Writewinger

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 01:21 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David:

New rumor is that Connie Herrera has been let go from KLIF as a precursor to taking Kevin off the air....are these people over at 570 really that dumb?

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 01:33 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Yep. They are really that dumb.

That's all I can say for now.:(

Bigtex

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 04:39 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

While I'm awaiting resolution of Kevin's situation, I'm celebrating two good pieces of radio news:
1) The Ticket has added an FM transmitter
2) KBIS-AM (1150), the Imus station, has added Laura Ingraham's show at 9PM. I loves that woman!

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 05:00 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Actually, a little inside info for ya. Infinity-Westwood One is syndicating Laura Ingraham's show. They were hoping it was going to be me. Problem was I needed to have a local station pick up the show first then CBS would syndicate it. I haven't been able to cross that hurdle yet. So they are syndicating Laura.

She got a station in Boston to take her show locally. CBS(Infinity-Westwood One) will syndicate her show live from 7-10PM EST. 1150 is a CBS station. The fact that KRLD couldn't take their own product and 1150 which can't be heard outside Highland Park at night has taken the show on tape delay does not bode well for her prospects.

Women doing issues doesn't work very often. Maybe she will buck the trend. Who knows. Meanwhile CBS still has interest in my show. Bruce Williams is being dropped from their lineup. So stay tuned.

Toddw1

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 05:00 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

What is KLIF thinking when they (it seems) are letting the ONLY person left (weekdays anyway) with any class or talent at all go! Ohhh how I long for the Norm, Kevin, Bob Ray, David, days. (singing....those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end........)

Todd in White Settlement

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 05:01 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Todd,
An era has come to a close.((((((

Toddw1

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 04:38 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David, that is very sad to think about....You know that I was an ADL for a long time, and I feel as if I have had a friend slowly turn it's back on me. And the turn started when you were let go several years ago.

Hmmmmm.....How much would it cost to start my own talk station? HEHEHE

Davidtalker2

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 06:33 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Here is a question for everyone.

What will KLIF sound like one year from today? If they do not have that 0.9 up to at least 1.8, they will be toast. It will call for either a format change or a sale of the property.

As long as Jay and Hillarie are on in the morning they will NEVER get close.Kevin and I both warned Jeff Hillery of that move.

Tom Kamb is all noise. As we say "all hat, no cattle". However, they could survive with him. The Morning drive show is critical. IMHO, they have the worst show possible in that slot for this market.

Davidtalker2

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 06:35 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Hey Todd,
Maybe we ought to start a new thread with the above question.

Mark

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 08:56 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I wonder if KLIF is keeping a spot available for the legendary Freddie Mertz?

Mad_Dog

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:58 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

KLIF is dead dead dead. What you smell when your radio is tuned to 570 AM is a stinking corpse. Firing Norm and Leon was the last in a long line of stupid moves.

I blame Kevin's loss of announcing the Maverics on KLIF. I blame his emotional breakdown on KLIF. I blame his (mild) heart attack on KLIF. Why do I blame them? Because they are STUPID!

David, you've been talking to him. Can you tell him that the rats jumped ship a long time ago, and he needs to find a new home? Maybe KRLD afternoon drive... or something.

Listening to KLIF right now is like watching
the guy with a noose around his head, tied to the ceiling joist, and he has the chair he's standing on rocking back and forth. Kevin needs to get away of KLIF because they are, literally, killing him.

Mark/Mad_Dog

Davidtalker2

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:30 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Mark,
Freddie Mertz already had a stint at KLIF. He was here for about two months in mid-90's.

Davidtalker2

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:32 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Mad Dog,
Kevin knows. Believe me. Kevin knows.

Jay

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:39 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

At risk of beating a dead horse, it's unbelievable what they have done to that station. Norm, the Gman, David. All damn good radio.

Jay

Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:40 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

BTW, I didn't know who Mark Davis was until KLIF did what they did.

Toddw1

Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:39 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Sounds like a good idea to me David.....if ya don't mind, I think I'll do that now.

Phil

Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:14 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

The old KLIF Mighty-1190 top-40 station was the ONLY station for kids in the 60s. My first talk show memory is of a show called Nightline KLIF ran from 8:00 to 10:00 pm when the hot topic was school busing. The show was hosted by Rod Roddy who I believe moved on to The Price Is Right ("Suzie Q, Come On Down").

The format grew because contrary to popular opinion all of the people on the road during rush hour are not idiots.

Brain Dead Talk like Jerry Springer works on TV because there is an audience surfing from wrestling to Nascar(Offended someone here with that ,I bet).
On radio that element is going to listen to music. It requires less effort and concentration. Isn't Howard Stern primarily on rock stations rather than news/talk?

There are people running stations in this market who just don't get it.

The natural spot for David? After Rush on 820. They have changed that spot two or three times since going to local talk.

I heard Ernie Brown the old "Friday Night Fights" guy (he used to tempt me away from Kevin in the morning) filling in on KRLD recently. With him, Kevin and David in town looking KLIF has work for Kamb and the "stupid people" and every talk station in the country has that space cadet Art Bell.

Jay

Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 10:20 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Good points.

Sarge

Friday, May 11, 2001 - 04:27 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

I listened to KLIF in the '60s. The entire British invasion and the advent of modern rock and roll was always on my radio and in the radio of my Mom's car.

Davidtalker2

Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:56 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

There is a neat thread about this at a new website that may interest many of you. It is a place to discuss KLIF in any fashion you choose.
http://www.kevincurtis.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

Davidtalker2

Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 02:06 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

In case you missed it. here is Al Brumley's column from today's Dallas Morning News.

McCarthy unlikely to return to KLIF
05/20/2001
By AL BRUMLEY / The Dallas Morning News
RADIO
No one's saying it on the record, but you don't need X-ray glasses to
read between these lines: Kevin McCarthy is off the air at KLIF-AM
(570), and he's not coming back.

Since Mr. McCarthy's last day on the air about five weeks ago, KLIF has
reshuffled its lineup to make up for his absence, precipitated by a mild
heart attack, and fired his longtime producer, Connie Enriquez Herrera.

The only thing that hasn't happened yet is the yanking of Mr. McCarthy's
name off KLIF's Web site.

For now, everyone's remaining relatively tight-lipped. KLIF program
director Jeff Hillery says he has no idea when Mr. McCarthy will return.
As for Ms. Herrera, "Because Kevin's out indefinitely, we didn't have
any need for a producer," he says.

Mr. McCarthy won't comment on his status at the station. But he did have
something to say about Ms. Herrera's firing. "It saddened and
disappointed me that they would fire Connie while I'm on medical leave,"
he says. "It's not her fault that I'm not currently able to do the show.
I think they could have avoided doing that if they really wanted to."

Ms. Herrera says she wasn't surprised by her termination, and she's
trying to put a positive spin on it. "Maybe it was time for that to end
so there could be a new beginning for the station," she said.

Looking back on the past few turbulent years at KLIF, it's no surprise
that things have come to this. Mr. McCarthy's smooth, intelligent
approach to talk radio doesn't fit anymore at KLIF, where shouting and
base humor have driven the ratings below single digits. It's kind of
like trying to work Paul Newman into the cast of The Jerky Boys II .

"We were not about being mean and angry," Ms. Herrera said. "Kevin's a
nice, easygoing guy, and that's the way his show is. Kevin is a great
talent, and he loves to interview people, but that's not the vein of the
station now."

With Mr. McCarthy's departure, KLIF has finally broken from its past.
Only time will tell how the break will heal.

Michael

Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 04:27 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Hooray, now that Kevin's no longer holding them back, they can ascend to the splendor and greatness they aspire to reach. I'm sure they'll be at the top of the Arbitron ratings by the first of next month.

Who knows? With talent like Tom Kamb, Rush Limbaugh should probably be considering other career options.

But seriously, what kind of Mexican music do you think they'll be playing when the format changes at the beginning of third quarter?theth go

Davidtalker2

Monday, May 21, 2001 - 11:40 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

This is so much BS. I can't believe KLIF is handing out this baloney. This is from Robert Philpot in today's Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

KLIF lineup likely to stay in place for a while
Last week's column, about Connie Herrera being fired from talk station KLIF/570 AM after 14 years of producing Kevin McCarthy's show, generated more than the usual amount of e-mail. All the correspondence had a similar tone: frustration with the way KLIF's doing things.
Sample comments included: "KLIF is soooo bad now" and "Do we just switch stations or listen to tapes in the house and the car?" Another item in last week's column was about Rush Limbaugh's ratings going up in Fort Worth-Dallas, where Limbaugh airs on Arlington-based WBAP/820 AM. Several readers contended that Limbaugh's ratings have risen because people have switched from KLIF to WBAP, which is the top-rated talk station in the Metroplex.
This isn't unusual. In the 17 months that I've been writing this column, KLIF has probably generated more news and reader
comments than any other station. You have to expect that from a station that, as of this writing, is airing a completely different lineup than it did when I started covering radio regularly. And from a station that has a longtime Fort Worth-Dallas heritage, first as a music station and then, since the late '80s, as a talk station. A lot of once-loyal listeners are upset, and for many, Herrera's firing was the last straw. That McCarthy - who's not on the air but is still with the station - has been absent for the past several weeks hasn't helped.
Program director Jeff Hillery says absences have hindered the station throughout its lineup. New morning-show co-host Jay Sorensen was out because of a death in the family; so was midday host Scott Anderson. Afternoon host Tom Kamb was absent for a few weeks after his best friend died in a car wreck.
"The joke is that we're on an Indian burial ground," Hillery said in a moment of dark humor. But Hillery blames the station's low ratings on the absences and inconsistencies. As far as the overall status of the station, he says, "I think it's too early to tell, because we've had so little time where we've had the entire lineup on the air at once." All the current hosts, except for McCarthy, have been hired since Hillery came to the station in October.
Of course, when they are on the air, they attract a lot of listener criticism. I've heard from many people who say they don't like Kamb and consider his blustery style mean-spirited. At first, I thought he added a much-needed jolt to the station, but his rants do grow old quickly. "There are people that love Tom and there are people who hate Tom," Hillery said. "I'm not sure whether that's good or bad." Well, it's good if the ones who hate him stick around and listen; it's not so good if they switch to other stations.
Nor are most readers I've heard from too keen on Sorensen and his morning-show partner, Hilarie Barsky, believing their breezy style doesn't fit in with an AM talk station. But Hillery says he's surprised that anyone has formed an opinion of the hosts, who came to the station in January, because he's not even sure most people know who they are.
If you're a KLIF listener who's unhappy with what you're hearing, well, you might be stuck with it for a while. Hillery says most of the current lineup is locked up in long-term contracts - for more than 12 months - and he plans to stick with the lineup and give it time to grow.
"I think people are always going to be resistant to change," he says. "Look at WBAP," he adds, referring to the top-rated talk station in the market. "Mark Davis has been on there solid for what, seven years? People know what they're going to get when they tune in. We haven't been able to get that kind of consistency. ... We feel like we've gotten momentum, but it's difficult to keep things going."
As for McCarthy, there's a fear among his fans that he won't be back. "I think that's jumping to conclusions," Hillery says, adding that McCarthy is on indefinite medical leave but is expected to return.
For some people, though, it's probably too late. KLIF's ratings have been toward the lower end of the Arbitron chart for a while now. It will be years before it becomes a top 10 player again - if it ever does.

Davidtalker2

Monday, May 21, 2001 - 11:54 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Have any of you seen the film "The Insider"? Story of a guy who knew the inner workings of the tobacco industry and threatened to go public. They threatened him with all types of recrimination if he went public with the truth.

Now I am taking some liberties here. However, think about Kevin and his situation. Then you will understand Brumley and Philpot's columns.:)

Sarge

Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:25 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

So, Kevin may be "the Insider?"

Davidtalker2

Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 01:05 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Good point Sarge.

Londell

Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 11:31 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

0.9 share???????
Oh my God ! How does management not see that they are way off the track?

Does anyone over ther really know how to run a radio station?

Mad_Dog

Monday, June 04, 2001 - 01:18 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Actually, with the last book its a 0.8 share.

Londell

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 09:08 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

0.8...... Am I correct in assuming that thats less than 10,000 radios listening to KLIF?

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 - 11:14 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

You got that correct Londell. Sad.

Toddw1

Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 04:17 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Sad yes....but totally understandable when you look at what they have done with the talent (and the lack of) on the air right now at KLIF.

Londell

Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 09:16 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

And screaming Tom Kamb is just making it worse.

When is corporate going to send someone down here and clean house?

Athelwolfe

Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 11:24 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

When ratings drop to 0.1 or they get a really good offer for the signal.

Mad_Dog

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:16 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Looks like Kevin McCarthy is about to give KLIF the boot.

http://www.tboneinc.com/webbbs_config.cgi?read=3636

Bev

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 06:39 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Kevin jumping off of that sinking ship would be the good news... any guesses what the "bad news" will be? Maybe he's moving back to Kentucky???

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:08 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

The story will be in the Dallas Morning News tomorrow. Kevin is doing great!

Kathy

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:11 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

And what about you, David?
I hope that you both weren't up for the same opening!

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 08:21 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Kevin is under contract. He can't work anywhere until November.

Athelwolfe

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 08:53 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

That sucks, don't know how contracts are written in the media industry but what are the possibility that someone bought out his contract?
I know this next thought is out of left field but if they don't feel he's a threat to their diminishing ratings couldn't they release him from his contract?

Kathy

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 08:57 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

But you still haven't answered my question "What about you?"...
Will you be gracing DFW airwaves any time soon?

Deanna

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 09:58 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

David has a few irons in the fire right now. ; )

It's just hard to talk about without going into details that can't be gone into yet...

FWIW, though, we are very happy with the way things are going. : )

They say it takes one month for every $10k a host makes to re-land a position, and David is being selective about potential positions. So we have been prepared to wait until next winter or spring before getting antsy...
But with the recommendations he is getting from great names in the business, and with his filling in at WABC in NY and KSFO in San Fransisco, things are looking really good. : )

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 09:59 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Kathy,
I am on the case. :)

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 10:08 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Athelwolfe,
These contracts are very difficult to break. On the other hand, rest assured Kevin will be compensated well. And he can be a Man of leisure at the same time. Time to kick back.:)

Davidtalker2

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 11:34 pm Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

As far as when Kevin's contract expires, I am just speculating. This is how it worked with me. It is possible he made other arrangements.

Mad_Dog

Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:44 am Click here to edit this post   Click here to reply to this post

Looks like Kevin McCarthy gave KLIF the boot.

http://www.tboneinc.com/webbbs_config.cgi?read=3791

Add a Message

Icons & Smilies Formatting tips

This is a private posting area.
To post a message, Register Here. It's quick, easy and private!
Username:  
Password:

c o n t a c t s   

david
David's private e-mail.
Please, ask about and discuss
issues-related topics with him
here in the forum.

webmaster
Questions, comments, and suggestions
are always welcome.

goldtalk
For publicity information
or to request an appearance.

Home   Chat   Resources   About David Gold    Show Announcements   

Copyright © 1999 DKG. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part subject to terms of use.
All files associated with the Discus program are Copyright © 1998, DiscusWare, LLC, all rights reserved