Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > 5%er Lounge > Talk Radio
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 2:42 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
Default DFW Talk Show Host Russ Martin Busted

"Hot Talker" Russ Martin. Local Howard Stern wannabe.Very popular. He certainly didn't intend to rob the place. The guy has plenty of cash. Lot more to this story.

Dallas DJ Russ Martin arrested in Southlake

01:44 PM CDT on Saturday, July 19, 2008

By MATTHEW HAAG / The Dallas Morning News
mhaag@dallasnews.com

Dallas-area radio personality Russ Martin was arrested Friday morning after an incident at a retail store in Southlake, police said.

Mr. Martin, who is host of the "Russ Martin Show" weekday afternoons on KLLI-FM (105.3), was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault with bodily injuries with a deadly weapon, Southlake police Cpl. Mike Bedrich said.

Cpl. Bedrich declined to provide specifics about the incident.

Mr. Martin has been on Dallas-Fort Worth radio stations for nearly three decades. The "Russ Martin Show" is one of the area's highest-rated afternoon radio programs.

He is on the board for Operation Kindness, a North Texas animal shelter. He also runs the Russ Martin Show Listeners' Foundation, which benefits the families of police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty, according to the show's Web site.
SOURCE
If you don't have lots of soul

Doug Sahm
Old 07-19-2008, 4:15 PM

joe has disabled reputation

I used to listen to his show in the 90s, but I got bored with him. There's no doubt he is a Howard Stern wannabe, but most markets probably have one.
Old 07-19-2008, 9:39 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

From scouring the internets, I've found found two versions of "what happened".

One story (put forth by the Dallas Observer) has Mr. Martin involved with some sort of domestic violence charge with his live-in girlfriend/fiancee. Presumably, he was arrested with the assistance of the FBI at a physical fitness center Mr. Martin frequents. Rumors have Mr. Martin shooting his fiancee.

The other story has Mr. Martin involved with a simple assault in a Southlake business. Since he is a licensed concealed handgun owner, and was presumably packing at the time, the standard is to upgrade the charge to aggravated assault with bodily injuries with a deadly weapon.

If it is the former, I suspect that he will shortly be fired. If it is the latter... well... I hope the Dallas Observer has some really good defamation insurance.
Old 07-21-2008, 5:52 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all
Default Guess the wedding is off.

More information has came out about the arrest. I wonder if this would be deemed sufficient for termination from KLLI...

Dallas Morning News.

Report: Woman says she was assaulted by radio host Russ Martin

06:00 PM CDT on Monday, July 21, 2008

From WFAA-TV Staff Reports

SOUTHLAKE — North Texas radio personality Russ Martin is accused of physically assaulting a woman and displaying a weapon at his Southlake home last Monday.

The City of Southlake released some details Monday afternoon of the incident that prompted Martin's arrest on Friday.

Officials say the unnamed complainant alleges that she and Martin "engaged in a verbal altercation that turned physical. She advised that Martin physically assaulted her and displayed a pistol during the altercation."

The woman reported the July 14 incident to police on the following day.

Martin's afternoon radio show on KLLI-FM (105.3) Monday was a rebroadcast of an earlier program, but he was expected to return to the microphone on Tuesday.

Martin's attorney, Tim Powers, said Sunday that he believes his client will be cleared of an aggravated assault charge.

Lawyer Tim Powers said he has advised his client not to discuss publicly his arrest Friday morning at Larry North Fitness in Southlake. Martin was at the gym when he was served with an arrest warrant for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury.

Both Powers and Southlake police Cpl. Mike Bedrich, a spokesman for the department, have declined to discuss the incident that led to the arrest.

Police said their records indicated no history of assaults or disturbances at Martin's home.

Martin was released from jail Friday after posting a $10,000 bond.

He has been on Dallas-Fort Worth radio stations for nearly three decades. The "Russ Martin Show" on KLLI-FM (105.3) is one of the area's highest-rated afternoon radio programs.

WFAA-TV reporter Gary Reaves and Dallas Morning News staff writer Marissa Alanis contributed to this story.

Source
Old 07-21-2008, 9:43 PM
Founding Member!

Default Yea, I'd say the wedding is off.

And the plot thickens...

Dallas Morning News

Protective order issued against radio host Russ Martin

09:55 PM CDT on Monday, July 21, 2008

By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News
debdennis@dallasnews.com

An emergency protective order prohibits local radio personality Russ Martin from approaching the woman he’s accused of assaulting and threatening with a pistol last week at his Southlake home.

Southlake Judge Carol Montgomery, who issued the 61-day order Friday, also suspended Mr. Martin’s concealed handgun license.

Mr. Martin, 47, the host of the Russ Martin Show on KLLI Live (105.3), was arrested Friday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 14 incident at his home on Byron Nelson Parkway.

The 27-year-old woman, who said she was engaged to Mr. Martin, reported the incident to police the next day.

Mr. Martin’s attorney, Tim Powers, declined to comment on the allegation.

“This is not trial by media,” Mr. Powers said. “We welcome the opportunity to present our set of facts to the Tarrant County district attorney.”

The woman, whose name has not been released, told police that Mr. Martin became irate after phoning home and learning she had failed to follow up with an IRS agent about a package delivery.

“When he arrived home, Mr. Martin began screaming at the woman to come downstairs,” according to an arrest warrant affidavit released today.

When the woman refused, the affidavit says, Mr. Martin went upstairs and began kicking and pushing her desk, destroying it, a bookcase and other personal items, the affidavit says.

The woman accuses Mr. Martin of pushing her against a wall, kicking her and pulling hair out of her head, police said. She said he also grabbed a Glock pistol from a counter.

“He then started pacing around the kitchen holding the gun,” the affidavit said.

The semiautomatic pistol was turned over to a court officer, said Lt. Rhonda Moore, a spokeswoman for Southlake police.

Police said the woman had several red spots on the back of her head where her hair had been ripped out. She also had an abrasion behind her right ear and told investigators Mr. Martin bruised her left thigh when he kicked her.

Mr. Martin was arrested Friday morning at Larry North Fitness Center in Southlake.

“He offered no resistance to officers and was not armed at the time of the arrest,” Lt. Moore said.

Mr. Martin was taken to the Keller Jail and was released after posting a $10,000 bond, police said.

The Southlake Police Department presented its case to the Tarrant County district attorney’s office for review, Lt. Moore said.

Mr. Martin was not on the air Monday, but he has not been suspended and is expected to return Tuesday, said the station’s general manager, David Henry.

He has no previous arrest history with Southlake, and records show no history of assaults or disturbances at his home, officials said.

Mr. Martin’s local charity work includes The Russ Martin Show Listeners Foundation, which assists the families of officers and firefighters in Dallas-Fort Worth who have died in the line of duty.

The talk show host’s attorney said he’s in good spirits and “taking everything in stride.”

“Russ is a great person,” Mr. Powers said. “He’s a very resilient person. Obviously, when someone is arrested for a second-degree felony, it’s serious.”

Staff writer Marice Richter contributed to this report.

Source
Old 07-22-2008, 4:15 PM
Founding Member!

Default Suspended

Things aren't going so well for KLLI. Their midday show is on hiatus, rumored to either be in contract renegotiations, or outright termination. Now this. Some of the "dead air" can be filled temporarily with syndicated programming, but not for long. The remaining members of the "Russ Martin Show" could be reshuffled, I suppose.

I would not be surprised if I were to here that Mr. Martin will not be back on the air until his legal issues are settled, if ever.

Russ Martin Won't Return To Air Today

Reporting
Jay Gormley

SOUTHLAKE (CBS 11 News / AP) ― Dallas-area radio personality Russ Martin will not return to the air today as scheduled and will remain off his show "for the time being," 105.3, KLLI-FM general manager said.

Martin was scheduled to return to his "Russ Martin Show" at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but station and corporate management felt he should not. The show airs from 3-7 p.m.

David Henry, the station's general manager, said "everyone involved felt that he should not return today."

When Henry was asked if Martin had been suspended, he declined to comment.

Martin, 47, was arrested on an assault charge Friday.

The arrest warrant affidavit says Martin and his fiancé got into a verbal altercation at his Southlake house that quickly turned violent.

Click here to read the entire affidavit (.pdf file).

According to the affidavit, on July 14, Martin grabbed his 27-year-old fiancé "by the hair and threw her around a room in the house," according to the affidavit It also says Martin pulled out "chunks of hair" from his fiancé's head.

He then kicked her full force in the thigh leaving a bruise on the woman's thigh, it says. The affidavit says Martin then pulled out a pistol from behind his back, cocked it and then started pacing around the victim to "intimidate" her.

It does not say that Martin pointed the gun at the woman.

The woman reported the incident on July 15. Southlake police found bruises on her body that backed up her story. They also found missing hair from her head.

Martin was taken into custody Friday morning, July 18, at the Larry North Fitness Center and charged with aggravated assault with bodily injuries with a deadly weapon.

A spokesman at the Keller Jail, where Southlake houses its arrestees, said Martin was released after posting a $10,000 bond. Martin has no previous arrest history with the Southlake Police.

After posting bond, the judge issued an emergency protective order on behalf of the woman, preventing Martin from coming within 200 yards of her for 61 days.

Martin has worked in Dallas radio for 26 years, according to the station's Web site.

Source
Old 07-22-2008, 5:34 PM
Administrator

mphare has a spectacular aura aboutmphare has a spectacular aura aboutmphare has a spectacular aura about

What do you bet they still marry after 62 days?

"Keep Moving Forward"

GnuPG Key fingerprint = 1AD4 726D E359 A31D 05BF ACE5 CA93 7AD5 D8E3 A876
Old 07-22-2008, 6:36 PM
Founding Member!

Doubt it.

I admit that I've listened regularly to the "Russ Martin Show" (like you couldn't tell). Since most of my work day has me with headphones on (Sennheiser 520s, with most of that tech Au. geeks and others, and my recently subscription to Rush Limbaugh's podcast feed, I have a lot of serious stuff queued up for my ears.

Russ Martin's show has worked for me to be the break, delve into the not-so-serious-side of... well, life. Stuff. Fun. Balance.

Guilty pleasure, maybe best defines it.

I'll miss him for that.
Old 07-22-2008, 7:13 PM
Administrator

mphare has a spectacular aura aboutmphare has a spectacular aura aboutmphare has a spectacular aura about

Hey I listened to Russ for the first few years.
I remember when he got his Speed Racer Mach 5.
Did he ever get his Batmobile?

"Keep Moving Forward"

GnuPG Key fingerprint = 1AD4 726D E359 A31D 05BF ACE5 CA93 7AD5 D8E3 A876
Old 07-22-2008, 8:49 PM
Retired

NightMgr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphare View Post
Hey I listened to Russ for the first few years.
I remember when he got his Speed Racer Mach 5.
Did he ever get his Batmobile?
I believe he has 2 Batmobiles, a Mach 5, and now a General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard).

I've heard him talk about wanting to get ahead of one of the high speed police chases and park a Batmobile by the side of the road and get out in a Batman costume and stand on the side of the road holding his hand up ordering the fleeing car to stop. That would be funny to see from a police helicopter on the nightly news.

He is the only radio talk guy that regularly makes me laugh out loud nowdays.
Old 07-23-2008, 9:03 AM

joe has disabled reputation

The Howard Stern wannabe did not return to the airwaves in Dallas....yet. They are playing the Best of Russ. I didn't know he had any Best of anythings.
Old 07-24-2008, 8:06 AM

speaktothesky will become famous soon enough

He is going to be taking the "bat mobile" for a test drive any day now, to Mexico.
Old 07-26-2008, 3:14 PM

PeteS in CA will become famous soon enough

He started working in Dallas radio when his gf was 1YO?

Public opinion has most shallow eyes.
- Euripides in "Medea"

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring