Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > 5%er Lounge > Sports
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
Default Houston Astros to the American League

Now they become a natural rival of the Texas Rangers.

SOURCE
If you don't have lots of soul

Doug Sahm
Old 11-15-2011, 8:56 PM
Tom Bean, TX

schaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud of

Sadly, I get even fewer chances of seeing the Cardinals.
Old 11-16-2011, 4:42 AM

etex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura about

I knew there was talk, but I had no idea that this change was this close.
Old 11-16-2011, 7:03 AM

Orin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sadly, I get even fewer chances of seeing the Cardinals.
Serves you right for jinxing it for the Rangers. What, with all your talk of rally Squirrels...

From the Pawn Shop Bill School of VooDoo economics:

"A 3-4% growth in the GDP, as proudly advertised by the Bushies, is close to a NEGATIVE GROWTH when you consider that the inflation was at least or close to 3-4%."
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Tom Bean, TX

schaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
Serves you right for jinxing it for the Rangers. What, with all your talk of rally Squirrels...
Touché
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 AM

BUngaro has disabled reputation

This mornings Houston Comical reports that moving to the AL would violate the lease by the Astros on Minute Made Park. I doubt that the Harris County-Houston Sport Authority would prefer to let Minute Made Park go unused, so I figure that eventually they will back down.

What do you think.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

MLB adds two wild cards, moves Astros to AL

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM
The Host

Further diluting the playoffs. More playoff money.

Doug Sahm
Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Orin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to beholdOrin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This mornings Houston Comical reports that moving to the AL would violate the lease by the Astros on Minute Made Park. I doubt that the Harris County-Houston Sport Authority would prefer to let Minute Made Park go unused, so I figure that eventually they will back down.
There must be something more to the story you read than just switching leagues. Switching leagues only requires your pitchers to stop batting practice and your team getting a DH. You play in the same stadium. I think there is more to it than that.

I understand the team is to be sold, but I think they are staying in Houston. Probably just require a name switch on the lease. With the "death" of NASA and the space programme, I wonder if a name change for the team is in order?

From the Pawn Shop Bill School of VooDoo economics:

"A 3-4% growth in the GDP, as proudly advertised by the Bushies, is close to a NEGATIVE GROWTH when you consider that the inflation was at least or close to 3-4%."
Old 11-17-2011, 5:38 PM
Tom Bean, TX

It wasn't the Houston Chronicle - it was a report citing a local attorney claiming the glossary lists the Astros as a National League team. The binding portion of the agreement as even a layman can read is that is says a home team of major league baseball. Case will be dismissed without merit, and the lawyer, an Astro fan, will simply have to give up on the team or learn to love the DH.
Oh yes - here's the article that BU can't learn to link: SOURCE
Old 11-18-2011, 8:39 AM

etex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura about

The American League is a superior brand of baseball. Having to watch pitchers hit rips off the fans.

(And the double switch is no big deal, so I don't want to hear any of this NL intellectual snobbishness.)