Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > Major Current Events > America at War
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 9:05 PM

crate is on a distinguished road

We need to get out of Afghanistan. As long as the ones in charge really don't want to fight it, we are losing lives for no reason.

Heck this administration has built a 750k soccer field for Gitmo and wants to cut tricare for military what does that tell ya?

It upset me greatly this whole Koran burning issue. I digress sorry.....
Old 03-15-2012, 1:20 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

This works for me.

"Afghan security forces have the ability to keep the security in rural areas and in villages on their own," Karzai said in a statement after meeting visiting U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.

SOURCE
If you don't have lots of soul

Doug Sahm
Old 03-16-2012, 4:02 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

Karzai telling NATO troops to stay in their bases. I say start bringing them home.

Doug Sahm
Old 03-16-2012, 7:49 PM
So little, yet so furry

BFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Karzai telling NATO troops to stay in their bases. I say start bringing them home.

And on the way out, melt down every piece of ground our troops set foot on.
Old 03-16-2012, 7:58 PM
Tom Bean, TX

schaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud of

Don't accept any collect calls after leaving - ungrateful SOB.
Old 03-16-2012, 8:15 PM
Regular Guy

FoundingFather has disabled reputation

I feel bad for the woman and children. They are the ones who will suffer for the mistakes of their men.
Old 03-17-2012, 6:06 PM
The Host

Worse Than a Powder Keg
Our troops should be out of Afghanistan. Yesterday.

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 03-18-2012, 2:46 PM
Curmudgeon

FastEddy is a name known to allFastEddy is a name known to allFastEddy is a name known to allFastEddy is a name known to allFastEddy is a name known to allFastEddy is a name known to all

1) When the women are against it, its time to mossy on. The NOW crowd doesn't even want to defend against the atrocities committed against women in the name of religion there.

2) Logistically, the arena of conflict always has had serious downsides. "Never fight a land war in Asia ...". Even flight times from our bases in Iraq to the Afghan hinterlands is a long slog and circuitous route. Planting a carrier task force for support in the straights is also a negative for world commerce. Even discounting the Iranian fervor and threats, the region is even more of a business bottle neck with a expensive US Navy presence there.

4) We don't really have any allies there. Russia is rooting for the US to lose, Pakistan is deeply divided over our efforts at "democratization" there. India considers the US to be little more than a pain to work around in the area. The Saudi oil sheiks do not want us there at all. And Iran? ... well ...

5) There is no significant political or social gain for US influences current or future in Afghanistan.

6) Women's rights aside, there is not even much in the way of Our Christian Duty to continue to interfere in Afghanistan. There are not even any "environmental justifications" for our presence there. It is difficult to make more of an environmental mess in Afghanistan than the locals themselves have not already done ... A thousand years ago, Afghanistan had trees, but the locals burned most of that for firewood, now just the scares of battle remain on that semi-desert.

Our failure there, and we have already had more than one, is [typically] not following through with our gains made in the 1980's - See "Charley Wilson's War"
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddy View Post
1) When the women are against it, its time to mossy on. The NOW crowd doesn't even want to defend against the atrocities committed against women in the name of religion there.

2) Logistically, the arena of conflict always has had serious downsides. "Never fight a land war in Asia ...". Even flight times from our bases in Iraq to the Afghan hinterlands is a long slog and circuitous route. Planting a carrier task force for support in the straights is also a negative for world commerce. Even discounting the Iranian fervor and threats, the region is even more of a business bottle neck with a expensive US Navy presence there.

4) We don't really have any allies there. Russia is rooting for the US to lose, Pakistan is deeply divided over our efforts at "democratization" there. India considers the US to be little more than a pain to work around in the area. The Saudi oil sheiks do not want us there at all. And Iran? ... well ...

5) There is no significant political or social gain for US influences current or future in Afghanistan.

6) Women's rights aside, there is not even much in the way of Our Christian Duty to continue to interfere in Afghanistan. There are not even any "environmental justifications" for our presence there. It is difficult to make more of an environmental mess in Afghanistan than the locals themselves have not already done ... A thousand years ago, Afghanistan had trees, but the locals burned most of that for firewood, now just the scares of battle remain on that semi-desert.

Our failure there, and we have already had more than one, is [typically] not following through with our gains made in the 1980's - See "Charley Wilson's War"
but... but... but... wont we be "cutting and running" if we leave now?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: The Three Laws will lead to only one logical outcome.
Detective Del Spooner: What outcome?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: Revolution.
Detective Del Spooner: Whose revolution?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM
The Host

Column: Enough! Afghan war just isn't working

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 03-24-2012, 1:42 PM
-

GeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the rough

Afghanistan obviously doesn't want US troops there.
Old 03-26-2012, 5:15 PM
The Host

NY Times

Support in U.S. for Afghan War Drops Sharply, Poll Finds
By ELISABETH BUMILLER 25 minutes ago

A New York Times/CBS News poll found that 69 percent of Americans surveyed think that the United States should not be at war in Afghanistan.

Doug Sahm
Old 03-26-2012, 5:53 PM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
A New York Times/CBS News poll found that 69 percent of Americans surveyed think that the United States should not be at war in Afghanistan.
When George Bush was President, this was the "just war". The difference is who is President. That's the conclusion the MSM doesn't want to put out there.
Old 04-13-2012, 8:25 PM
So little, yet so furry

BFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the roughBFDwarf is a jewel in the rough

So, are we leaving the land of backstabing boy lovers yet?
Having a little trouble finding info with all the lamestream media and their crisis of the moment talking heads unable to stay on any topic that takes more than 48 hours to spin.
Bring the children of my countrymen home.
Old 04-15-2012, 4:34 PM
The Host

Taliban hits Kabul, other Afghanistan cities in rare coordinated attack

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 04-17-2012, 3:44 PM
The Host

I am sick and tired of Afghans "demanding" this and that. Karzai is a corrupt fraud. Get Out! AP
KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan’s president raised another condition Tuesday for a long-awaited strategic partnership with the United States: The accord must spell out the yearly U.S. commitment to pay billions of dollars for the cash-strapped Afghan security forces.

The demand threatens to further delay the key bilateral pact and suggests that Afghan President Hamid Karzai is worried that the U.S. commitment to his country is wavering as the drawdown of foreign forces nears.

Doug Sahm
Old 04-19-2012, 5:23 PM
The Host

KUHNER: Obama’s disastrous war
Only victory president wants to win is his own on Election Day

President Obama has lost Afghanistan. The war is turning into a catastrophic defeat - one that will be worse than Vietnam. It is time to bring the troops home, and end this national nightmare.
SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 04-21-2012, 2:38 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

Quote:
KUHNER: Obama’s disastrous war
Only victory president wants to win is his own on Election Day

President Obama has lost Afghanistan. The war is turning into a catastrophic defeat - one that will be worse than Vietnam. It is time to bring the troops home, and end this national nightmare.
SOURCE
Limbaugh is absolutely correct about one thing: NO ONE wants to be hung with the "We lost Afghanistan" label. Not the Dems. Not the Repubs.

Afghanistan is a loser, and it doesnt matter WHO is in charge when we pull out (and we will have to eventually.) The American People are sick and tired of never ending war. The question is will we the people prevail, or will the tails of the extremist wag the common sense dogs?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: The Three Laws will lead to only one logical outcome.
Detective Del Spooner: What outcome?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: Revolution.
Detective Del Spooner: Whose revolution?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 05-01-2012, 1:45 PM
The Host

Obama in Afghanistan. To address the nation this evening. Another campaign trip. Get out now.

Doug Sahm
Old 05-01-2012, 3:27 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

Quote:
Obama in Afghanistan. To address the nation this evening. Another campaign trip. Get out now.
Wanna bet this will end up in the "I Killed bin Laden!" movie being made right now? Maybe the sole reason for the trip?