Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > 5%er Lounge > Talk Radio
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 4:18 PM

xman charl is on a distinguished road

I noticed this trend cumulus did, a year or so ago.

My location vallejo, ca, about 20 miles east from SF.

Many of the hosts here, from ksfo and kgo, where
picked up by 910am.

Wattenberg is on sunday night, KSC0 1080 Santa Cruz.

My favorite now, is texas overnite, Charlie Brown, 10pm-1am. Broadcast
1080 am Texas.

charl
Old 05-12-2012, 4:44 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman charl View Post
I noticed this trend cumulus did, a year or so ago.

My location vallejo, ca, about 20 miles east from SF.

Many of the hosts here, from ksfo and kgo, where
picked up by 910am.

Wattenberg is on sunday night, KSC0 1080 Santa Cruz.

My favorite now, is texas overnite, Charlie Brown, 10pm-1am. Broadcast
1080 am Texas.

charl
Charley Jones
If you don't have lots of soul

Doug Sahm
Old 05-12-2012, 4:44 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

I am praying for my friend Mark Davis. The business is so bad right now his options are very few. Especially, someone who has made a lot of money. Now, that Mark has pretty much cut ties with Cumulus his options are few. A local show may be out of the question. And, it would, almost definitely, mean leaving DFW.

The best option, and I've mentioned it before, is to go to Salem Radio Network. Show would be on KSKY in DFW. However, it would mean SRN dropping someone. Gallagher, Prager, Medved or Hewitt. This is a great spot for Mark. The network is based here. They know Mark's work.

Our business is brutal right now. There are numerous talented conservative veteran hosts without a job. Cumulus is driving down compensation. Clear Channel is amazingly more generous. But, not by much.

The scary thing is once you are off the air for any lengthy stretches listeners move on. It's a sad reality. You are only as good as your last show. When it's been awhile listeners move on. Mark is filling in for Limbaugh Monday. Mark has a great platform there. Hopefully, he lands soon and we can hear him in DFW.

Doug Sahm
Old 05-13-2012, 4:07 PM

luknikfan has disabled reputation

Mark Davis I could barely listen to.

Mr. Snarky, playing that he had this "in" info he wanted to talk about that I could have given a da** about.

His chatter-box style was nerve-wracking. He never made it big from what I know and that is totally understandable.

I only heard him ocassionally but not surprsied he is gone.
Old 05-14-2012, 2:03 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I suspected this was coming. Cumulus doesn't like large salaries. Not one bit. I didn't know Mark's contract was up. The ratings have been down at WBAP. He's gone this week. Ben Ferguson filling in. I hate Cumulus. Mark will be fine. But, he may be leaving the Metroplex.

SOURCE
Are Mark Davis and WBAP parting ways?
Hoo ray for the free market!
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: The Three Laws will lead to only one logical outcome.
Detective Del Spooner: What outcome?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: Revolution.
Detective Del Spooner: Whose revolution?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 05-14-2012, 3:36 PM

Rafael has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
I didn't like Mark Davis, hadn't listened to him in years, more than just repetitive, well I'll just get specific. Mark Davis attacks other conservatives who call in and disagree with his narrative. He often tries to suppress such opposition, using his "redneck voice" to mock the position before anyone even expresses it. Wacky liberals, whose positions are near insanity, he respects and discusses.

He also obsesses on certain issues, the most common was school attendance, pretending that every day of school is so important and sacred. He hated parents that would take their kids out of school for petty matters, like perhaps, taking a vacation in an "off" time when parents could more easily get off work. He also defended evolution as "the best science could produce. Which is laughable. Seatbelts, Obsession. Parents who forgot and left kids in car seats, Mark would hang them if he could. Gun rights, OTOH was something he gave lip service to, I got the impression he wasn't a gunowner. Family? i always wondered about his previuos wife, the one who became handicapped. Never heard, but it sounds as though he put her in an institution and left her.

He also went ballistic on the Elian Gonzales matter, which, if anyone but Mark Davis would discuss, could keep it a rrasonable discussion, Not Mark! Any Republican that disagreed with Mark Davis' opinion, that Elian should be sent back immediately, was a coward and a panderer. Mark Davis also declared HIS position, the Conservative position, again attacking fellow conservatives who didn;t agree with him, and he accused them of telling lies several times when someone persited in challenging him. He could have easily been "Ed Schultz" in the wat he was behaving.

He was boring. I get tired of being preached to, especially about some local issue that Davis was obsessing over.

With all that, I'm not surprised Mark failed several times at getting his own national show. The Weekend one wasn't a surprise, that format didn;t ever seem to work. Still I must admit, Mark has dominated the DFW market, the people here love him even if I don't. I'm sure he can make it somewhere else, it's too bad KSky couldn't afford to take him, this kind of thing has been done before, with Bo Roberts on the Rock station side.

Anyway, knowing that, if Cumulus dropped Rush, they would be slitting their own throat. The previous idiotic management at WBAP took years to get Rush Limbaugh to be on live, and that is primarily why I listen to them. I am indifferent to Sean Hannity, if Rush isn't there, why would I be other than Mark Levin. Anyway Rush Limbaugh is who made WBAP the last 18 years or so, his loss mght unmake them.
I'm right with you. [All you said] and it infuriated me the way he would shout over the top of anyone who dared have another opinion.
Old 05-14-2012, 8:56 PM

bond has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
I'm right with you. [All you said] and it infuriated me the way he would shout over the top of anyone who dared have another opinion.
The accountants will do what left couldn't. Put Rush on the side lines.
The same as they did to Mark Davis.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Rifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to all

Seems we can;t get rid of Davis, even on WBAP! Subbed again for Rush, could only listen to a few minutes, typical Mark Davis triteness. I understand his desire to thank hosts when they are hospitable, but went on way too long about his actually subbing in NYC. I have heard years worth of vacation discussions, his facination with the US Space program, and his always existing redefinition of issues and stances designed to pre-empt criticism. Come on Rush, or Rush producers! Mark Belling is FAR more interesting, and doesn't blather on about himself!

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Obama simply wants to be the one wearing the "boot".
Old 05-27-2012, 8:35 PM
Tom Bean, TX

schaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud of

He's Back
660 AM KSKY (Salem)
SOURCE
Old 05-29-2012, 5:24 AM

etex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura aboutetex211 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaabdl View Post
He's Back
660 AM KSKY (Salem)
SOURCE

My understanding is that they are taking away one of Dennis Prager's hours on KSKY. That sucks.

My transition to Sirius/XM and away from the D/FW radio market continues.....
Old 05-29-2012, 5:57 AM
Tom Bean, TX

schaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud ofschaabdl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
My understanding is that they are taking away one of Dennis Prager's hours on KSKY. That sucks.

I only know he is 7-10 AM - haven't seen the new line-up yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 2:05 PM
The Host

Did any of you listen to Limbaugh today? He was talking about the history of growth of the "EIB Network." I listened with interest. IMHO, Rush was sending a message to Cumulus. Talking about competitors coming and going. Add to this the fact that Rush, personally went to bat for Mark Davis. Rush sent recording of phone call Rush received on the air referencing Mark Davis and you come to a conclusion. Rush feels the same about Cumulus that he did with sponsors who left him in the boycott orchestrated by Media Matters.

My guess is Clear Channel will be prepared for Rush leaving Cumulus outlets when their contract is up for renewal. They will take Hannity with them. This is happening right now in Philly. New station dedicated to talk featuring Limbaugh and Hannity and Beck. Local news in AM Drive. They completed this in other major markets including SF.

Bottom line. And most of you get this. Cumulus is destroying great radio stations. WBAP is being torn apart. The question then comes up where will Rush, Hannity and Beck go in DFW? I thought Mark Davis would be part of the new outlet. Means there will probably be an FM news talk outlet operated or owned by Clear Channel. Fascinating chess game. Cumulus is CRAZY if they believe Huckabee will be a ratings winner. Cumulus sucks.

Doug Sahm
Old 05-29-2012, 6:49 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

Huckabee is shilling for Dewhurst for Senate... recording lots of political ads for him. Screw him and Cumulus.
Old 05-29-2012, 9:34 PM
Tom Bean, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post

Just saw the new lineup - takes an hour from Bennett, Gallagher, and Prager. Will be interesting to see how he does against WBAP since he is going 2 hours against old friends (Hal Jay and crew) and one hour against his replacement.
Old 06-07-2012, 3:15 PM
The Host

Do you think KSKY (660 AM) can catch WBAP (820 AM) in the ratings? I am very skeptical. WBAP is a heritage radio station with a monster signal. KSKY signal a problem at night. WBAP and KRLD are where people go for breaking news and weather. However, if Cumulus continues to dismantle a great radio station all bets are off. I do think KRLD can catch WBAP. KSKY is an unknown quantity for most listeners. Salem simply can not afford the TV spots that will inform listeners Mark Davis has moved to KSKY. If Cumulus messes with Hal Jay they invite a free fall.

Doug Sahm
Old 06-07-2012, 3:52 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

Depends on if/when they boot Limbaugh from WBAP and what Clear Channel would choose to do in response.

CC stations in Dallas...
KDGE - 102.1
KDMX - 102.9
KEGL - 97.1
KHKS - 106.1
KZPS - 92.5
KFXR - 1190

Would they blow one of those stations up to give Limbaugh a home? I've got no clue how these stations are doing in the ratings, so I don't know who's on top and who's on bottom. I'd guess, though, if/when the shoe drops that Mark Davis will be offered a timeslot on the new station... assuming that CC doesn't have syndicated programming that'll fill all daytime radio slots.

I do like the idea of acquiring the old KTXQ call letters and re-branding 102.1 as Texas Best Talk... but that'll never happen.
Old 06-07-2012, 5:59 PM

luknikfan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Seems we can;t get rid of Davis, even on WBAP! Subbed again for Rush, could only listen to a few minutes, typical Mark Davis triteness. I understand his desire to thank hosts when they are hospitable, but went on way too long about his actually subbing in NYC. I have heard years worth of vacation discussions, his facination with the US Space program, and his always existing redefinition of issues and stances designed to pre-empt criticism. Come on Rush, or Rush producers! Mark Belling is FAR more interesting, and doesn't blather on about himself!
Fact, Rifleman and I don't agree on a lot. But we agree on Davis.

IMO he needs to be gone. Davis's self-agrandizment is pathetic. He adds nothing to the discussion. But himself. It's all about Mark and his family. Like does anyone really care?!?

Mark - take a clue. Your chatterbox style is a part of why you never made it big. Can I be so blunt?

I listen to KSFO less frequently now, Sussman and Morgan are the epitomy of radio "trailer trash", but I love Barbara and some of the other weekend folks. I actually liked JD which surprised me. But he is gone now. For Huckabee - yeah right.

Thankfully Davis is not on KSFO unless a sub for Rush. But Rush is sharp - he chooses "weak" subs to enhance his standing. And Davis is the weakest of the Rush subs.
Old 06-07-2012, 6:27 PM
Tom Bean, TX

David - Hal Jay has really fallen, especially when Brian joined the show it shows just how old and really inane Hal has become.
KSKY - yes I changed my listening habit (actually wish I knew Bennett was on in the morning so my morning commute switch to 660, I listen Davis - if he is off on some rant, I simply turn off. At 10, I move to 1190 for an hour. At 11 back to Rush. I've been lately listening to Medved at 2:00 (also on KSKY) lately as Sean is two repetitive / predictable then at 5:00 back to WBAP for Levin.
Old 06-07-2012, 7:53 PM

jaguardude will become famous soon enough

Okay, someone tell me what JD is doing since getting bumped for the Huckster.........I understood that he moved from AZ to take the gig at KSFO, and now nothing, no update, nothing on KSFO website about it. I kinda liked listening to him when he subbed for Barbara and was TRYING to like him after he began the new show but he wasn't on air long enough for me to make a daily habit of.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Rifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to all

Called Mark Davis this morning, about Holder and the Justice and BATFE profiling Hispanic US citizens who legally buy guns. He seems a little softer but still has ego issues. He seemed skeptical even though I had multiple sources for the allegation.

It's not scientific, but I had no problem getting on the air, so I don't think people are aware yet or perhaps he has already lost a bit of pull.

As for 660, they seem to have boosted the signal somewhat, they used to fade out about 7PM. Now it's 1190 that fades out. I heard they got Laura Ingraham, but must be real late.

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Obama simply wants to be the one wearing the "boot".