Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > News and Politics > Religion
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2003, 11:34 PM

David Gold has disabled reputation
Default Guess Who Doesn't Believe In God

AP

Guess Who Doesn't Believe In God?

Ten percent of Protestants, 21 percent of Roman Catholics, and 52 percent of Jews do NOT believe in God.

That's the surprising word from a new survey by Harris Interactive of 2,306 adults that shows belief in God varies quite widely among different segments of the American public. How often do we go to a place of worship? Not much. Most people attend a religious service less than once a month. Still, Americans are far more likely to believe in God and to attend religious services than people in most other developed countries, particularly in Europe.

Who believes in God?
While 79 percent of Americans believe there is a God, only 66 percent are absolutely certain of it. Nine percent do not believe in God and 12 percent aren't sure. And weirdly, not everyone who calls himself or herself a Christian or a Jew actually believes in God.

Who worships at a religious service?
Just over half (55 percent) attend a religious service a few times a year or more. Thirty-six percent attend once a month or more often, and just 26 percent say they attend every week. Forty-one percent of women and 31 percent of men attend once a month or more. Protestants (47 percent) are more likely to go to church once a month or more often than are Roman Catholics (35 percent). Jews are least likely to go with 16 percent saying they go to synagogue once a month or more. Church attendance is highest in the Midwest and lowest in the West.

Belief in God by geography and age
Eighty-two percent of Midwesterners and Southerners believe in God, compared with 75 percent in the East and West. Our beliefs get stronger as we age. Of those 25 to 29 years old, 71 percent believe in God. That number jumps to 80 percent for people over 40, and hits 83 percent for those 65 and over.

Other fascinating facts about who believes in God:

84 percent of women believe in God, compared with 73 percent of men.
91 percent of African Americans believe in God, compared with 81 percent of Hispanics and 78 percent of whites.
87 percent of Republicans believe in God, compared with 78 percent of Democrats and 75 percent of Independents.
82 percent of those with no college education believe in God, compared with 73 percent who went to college.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM

johnhale has disabled reputation

Which at the present rate of growth proves that one day soon there will be more Southern Baptists than people.
Old 11-03-2003, 7:27 AM

joe has disabled reputation

I guess this survey is supposed to be telling us that 100 million Protestants and 210 million Catholics don't believe in God. I think that is very high. I would be interested in the questions asked of the participants. For example, what type of religion were you raised in? DCannady grew up in a Protestant based church and is now an atheist. Does he qualify, under their questioning, as a Protestant? Five years ago, my sister-in-law may have qualified as a non-believer, but was raised Catholic. That is somewhat misleading.

The differences in men, women, and the minorities is something that seems to be pretty accurate. One part not mentioned, if researched, is the demographics on income.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:31 AM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

Joe, this points to the thread that Zeno had claiming that "almost all" americans believe in heaven. There's just no easy way to really know what "everybody" believes. So all of these polls and studies have to be suspect. There are certainly those who many of us believe profess religious belief to gain public confidence. But we do not know what they truly believe.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:47 AM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
82 percent of those with no college education believe in God, compared with 73 percent who went to college.
I find it interesting that the "uneducated" believe more than the educated. What was that about the "meek" and being "child like"? Something John is having a lot of trouble with. Yet I can draw no conclusion. Is the "knowledge" what turns people away from God? Or is it the propaganda of the people and institutions doing the teaching that try to turn people away from God.

Quote:
87 percent of Republicans believe in God, compared with 78 percent of Democrats and 75 percent of Independents.
This also was not as stark a difference as I would have expected. Politically, it would seem that Republicans are religious and Democrats are Atheist. So it's more a matter of what you consider belief to be. And of course each of us, John, Joe, David, Zeno, Bungaro, and myself, thing we are right and our perception of religion is the right one. So what does that mean to such a survey?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:25 PM

joe has disabled reputation

"I find it interesting that the "uneducated" believe more than the educated. What was that about the "meek" and being "child like"? Something John is having a lot of trouble with. Yet I can draw no conclusion. Is the "knowledge" what turns people away from God? Or is it the propaganda of the people and institutions doing the teaching that try to turn people away from God."

JTDC, this always reminds me when Jesus and Nicodemus first talked. Nic wanted a meeting of the "minds" and Jesus desired a meeting of the "hearts". To me, when your heart and soul is touched by Jesus, and even though doubt still exists, the thirst for knowledge will soon follow.

I mentioned this issue of income and maybe this relates to education, unemployment, or a choice of limited resources. It seems that those who have less, or are down on their luck, seek more into their spiritual life. Those who have more will contribute more $$$ to the offering, more to charity, and even believe, but don't really take the time to become involved. They are the one day a week Christians. Again, I am speaking in general terms because I know people on both sides of the spectrum who are exceptions.

"Politically, it would seem that Republicans are religious and Democrats are Atheist."

I agree with the perception, but I wonder who causes this perception to be so divided. I don't agree the idea that if you are a Democrat, then that means Christianity is impossible for them. It is then saying, "If you accept Jesus, then you will convert to the Republican Party."

"So it's more a matter of what you consider belief to be. And of course each of us, John, Joe, David, Zeno, Bungaro, and myself, thing we are right and our perception of religion is the right one. So what does that mean to such a survey?"

I don't know what it means to the survey, but anytime we believe our faith, belief, interpretation is the most right, or in most cases we can't believe we are possibly wrong, there is one word that will describe that action. 50% of Christendom verbally oppose it, yet 100% Christendom lives by it.....infallibility.
Old 12-10-2009, 7:08 AM

lisamarietuck is on a distinguished road

Thanks. very helpful post. I read a few of your other posts and they all helped me.