Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > Archives > Election 2004
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Election 2004 Topics relating to the 2004 primary and general election. This topic is locked!. Please use the 'Politics', 'Politicians And Other People' or another thread as they may apply.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:38 PM

David Gold has disabled reputation
Default Teresa Heinz Kerry Asks "What's Chili?"

Do you believe this? Heinz makes Chili Sauce. :?

AP

Democrats Defend Bush Charge

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Newly installed Democratic presidential team of John Kerry and John Edwards (news - web sites) defended their ticket from President Bush's charge that his challenger has no "signature achievements" as they drew thousands of supporters Friday, the first official day of the general election campaign. Kerry and Edwards embarked on a two-week coast-to-coast trip just eight hours after standing in a downpour of balloons and confetti at the end of their nominating convention.

They were barely on their way before being challenged by the president.

"After 19 years in the U.S. Senate, my opponent has had thousands of votes, but few signature achievements," Bush told supporters in a Midwest campaign swing.

Bush said despite Kerry's promises to reform America's intelligence, health care and education systems, he has no significant record of doing so during 19 years in the Senate.

"In fact, he and his running mate consistently opposed reforms that limit the power of Washington — reforms that would leave more power in the hands of the people," Bush said.

"Here we go again," Edwards said, lamenting Bush's criticism to a chorus of boos from the crowd in Harrisburg.

"They're trying to take this campaign for the highest office in the land down the lowest possible road," Edwards continued. "You can reject this tired old hateful negative politics of the past and instead embrace the politics of hope."

Edwards led the crowd in his convention speech refrain that "Hope is on the way." Bush answered with his own chant that "Results matter."

In an interview, Kerry dismissed Bush's criticism with a laugh as "the response to a positive campaign." He said he was behind a long list of legislation during his Senate career, including funding for more community police, improvements to health care and support for fisheries programs.

"They don't have a record to run on, so all they can do is attack," Kerry said.

Kerry's caravan of 10 buses and at least 11 other support vehicles rolled through Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and Pennsylvania Friday. He didn't stop in safely Democratic Connecticut, but pulled over at Wendy's, a fast food restaurant, in New York's GOP-leaning Hudson Valley for an anniversary tradition.

John and Elizabeth Edwards ate at a Wendy's on their wedding night 27 years ago when they were recent law school grads too broke for a fancy meal. Although they have become millionaires several times over, they say they observe the tradition each year.

"I have to admit that Wendy's with an entire presidential campaign press corps is a little different than the first time we went there," Elizabeth Edwards said.

The Edwards had hearty meals of burgers and fries and shared a chocolate Frosty. Teresa Heinz Kerry, apparently unfamiliar with the Wendy's menu, pointed at a picture of chili and asked the cashier what it was before ordering a bowl. Her husband had the same, along with a Frosty.

The two couples brought along their adult children and blockbuster actor Ben Affleck for some extra attention on their tour's opening weekend.

"Don't confuse me for being on the front bus," Affleck said after being mobbed by media outside the restaurant. He said he was riding behind Kerry's lead motorcoach in a bus that he said seemed more like it was from the Eisenhower-era.

While Affleck signed autographs, patrons congratulated Kerry on his speech to the Democratic National Convention Thursday night. Registered Republican Chris Smith said he became convinced Kerry would beat Bush after watching it.

"I don't like the way the present administration is handling Iraq (news - web sites) or the National Guard," said Smith, a nuclear plant worker and Navy veteran.

Kerry's morning rally was surprisingly small for the hometown nominee, with no more than 500 people only half-filling a harbor-side park. With a long day ahead and little sleep the night before, the candidate opened by sleepily saying, "I'm longing to have my head hit a pillow."

The afternoon rally in Scranton was a more impressive draw, with several thousand cheering supporters filling at least three city blocks, hanging out of office buildings and garages. And at a twilight rally in Harrisburg, thousands filled the state Capitol steps and spilled back as far as one could see into the park and streets.

Kerry opened his Scranton rally by thanking Edwards and his family and his daughters for their performances at the convention. He said he started to tear up as he watched them introduce him and had to turn away so he could compose himself for his own speech. Then he noticed that his daughter Vanessa wasn't listening — the Harvard medical student was tending to a rally-goer who was feeling faint in the heat.

"These are dangerous times today," Kerry said, referring to the threat of terrorism, not the heat. "We're living in a world that's changed dramatically from the world of four years ago and we deserve leadership that tells the truth to the American people and helps America act like a beacon to the world."

Meanwhile, the Federal Election Commission (news - web sites) on Friday approved the release of $74.7 million in federal funds that Kerry and Edwards will use from now until Election Day. The agency notified the Treasury Department (news - web sites), which will wire the cash to the campaign, the commission said.

Because Kerry accepted public funding for the general election, he is barred from spending any other cash since becoming his party's nominee.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 PM

Reminds me of the Philly cheese steak with SWISS CHEESE
Old 08-01-2004, 5:35 PM

corsair has disabled reputation
Default Re: Teresa Heinz Kerry Asks "What's Chili?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gold
Do you believe this? Heinz makes Chili Sauce. :?

snipped out...

The Edwards had hearty meals of burgers and fries and shared a chocolate Frosty. Teresa Heinz Kerry, apparently unfamiliar with the Wendy's menu, pointed at a picture of chili and asked the cashier what it was before ordering a bowl. Her husband had the same, along with a Frosty.
That's disgusting!

Terayzzzaaa's visits with the rustics, the hoi polloi, the little people must be just so much fun! As far as I'm concerned, the Wendy's story is just another of many showing Terayzzzaaa as colonial royalty and distinctly non-American, and she seems to have never acquired what the naturalization ceremony cannot give new citizens. She is a citizen isn't she? I sustained myself through one lean week at survival school on visions of a steaming bowl of chili.
Phu Cat to Phu Quoc

Vietnam volunteer 2X, I have been to An Thoi and Cam Ranh Bay and I have been on several Swift Boats. http://vikingphoenix.com/forums.htm
Old 08-01-2004, 8:13 PM

Good one Corsair! Welcome aboard.
Old 08-01-2004, 8:20 PM

Now the truth emerges. Mid Hudson News,N.Y.

Was the real lunch choice WendyÂ’s or fine dine

What was being served inside the bus?
While Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry and his running mate, John Edwards, and their families were having a “lite” lunch at Wendy’s in the Town of Newburgh Friday, drumming up local support right after the national convention in Boston, their real lunches were waiting on their bus.

A member of the Kerry advance team called NikolaÂ’s Restaurant at the Newburgh Yacht Club the night before and ordered 19 five-star lunches to go that would be picked up at noon Friday. Management at the restaurant, which is operated by CIA graduate chef Michael Dederick, was told the meals would be for the Kerry and Edwards families and actor Ben Affleck who was with them on the tour.

The gourmet meals to go included shrimp vindallo, grilled diver sea scallops, prosciutto, wrapped stuffed chicken, and steak salad. The meals came to about $200.

The entourage had also expected to stop at the Alexis Diner at Route 9W and North Plank Road in the Town of Newburgh. In fact, the Kerry advance team had ordered 125 lunches for the team and supporters. Their buses drove right by the diner on I-84 and proceeded straight to WendyÂ’s.

Kerry may still have the vote of Wendy’s manager John Garrett. “I’m for anyone who comes in and likes double cheeses”, Garrett said. “I’m a big supporter of anyone who orders our food.”
Old 08-01-2004, 11:44 PM

rachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the rough

I don't know what all the fuss is about...after all, you can't expect someone accustomed to the best of the best to actually consume the kind of food that constitutes "going out" for many working class citizens! I mean REALLY!

That is one of the most illustrative incidents in the Kerry character (or lack thereof) montage we've been seeing since he began running. From cussing a guy because he fell down skiing to trying to suck up to the "common man" by talking about "crawling around on his belly with a 12-gauge double barrell" deer hunting for God's sake! A cheap hustler who had a few influential relatives and his spouse's money to get him started into the big time.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

dcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud of

Every day at the club you could see him arrive.

He stood 6 foot 6 and weighed 155.

Kinda narrow at the shoulders and narrow at the hips.

Everybody knew they'd get their butt kissed by Big John!
Old 08-02-2004, 5:06 AM

SamBusy has disabled reputation

ROFL good one , DC
Old 08-02-2004, 5:19 AM

Osiris has a spectacular aura aboutOsiris has a spectacular aura about

Am I seeing the issue of low class snobbery here? Through most of my years of growing up, I have been treated to the visions of 'upper' class snobs, who look down their noses upon us in the lower class stratums. But here, I seem to be seeing the same thing in the opposite direction.

What bloody difference is it, that people with wealth eat for lunch or anything else? Does what they eat, make for political policy?

Quote:
From cussing a guy because he fell down skiing...
Vice President Cheney cussing a guy out in the Senate chambers.

Quote:
...trying to suck up to the "common man"...
Sounds like a lot of politicians to me.

Quote:
A cheap hustler who had a few influential relatives and his spouse's money to get him started into the big time.
How many other wealthy inherited folks would that describe these days?

Quote:
The Edwards had hearty meals of burgers and fries and shared a chocolate Frosty. Teresa Heinz Kerry, apparently unfamiliar with the Wendy's menu, pointed at a picture of chili and asked the cashier what it was before ordering a bowl. Her husband had the same, along with a Frosty
Have any of you seen those pictures, and knew exactly what the picture was showing?

From the initial article, there are a number of political diatribes to comment on, but what the heck, let's take them apart on what they choose to consume for food, those wealthy whatevers.
Old 08-02-2004, 7:23 AM

joe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Have any of you seen those pictures, and knew exactly what the picture was showing?
Yes. Besides, if you claim to be the common man, chili is not hard to figure out.

What I found pathetic about the article is that it was simply a photo-op. Their real meals were on the bus.
Old 08-02-2004, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Yes. Besides, if you claim to be the common man, chili is not hard to figure out.
Yeah sure joe, the "common man", as if that meant anything other than creation of a division that is not necessarily existing, except in the minds of they who place money over substance. I live better than others, and others live better than myself, as per our personal wealth status. But overall, am I better than others, because of the wealth I have? Or are the others wealthier than I, better than I am? It is not how much one has, it is how you make life from it. What difference does it make that I recognize a food item, and another does not? What does that have to say anything about anyone?

Quote:
What I found pathetic about the article is that it was simply a photo-op. Their real meals were on the bus.
What I find pathetic, is that some people want to make an issue out of what another eats at all, or even where. As for "photo-ops", so what? Isn't that the American way anymore? Do not virtually ALL politicians or even CEO's or movie stars also partake in the old game of "photo-ops"?

Even amongst us poor ole' commoners, when we set to go out for the evening, or attending a big ceremony of some sort, do we not get all gussied up and drag out the cameras for pictures of that?
Old 08-02-2004, 8:42 AM

corsair has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
Am I seeing the issue of low class snobbery here? Through most of my years of growing up, I have been treated to the visions of 'upper' class snobs, who look down their noses upon us in the lower class stratums. But here, I seem to be seeing the same thing in the opposite direction.
Tsk, tsk, do I detect some class consciousness in your words?

You're not seeing an issue, you're seeing we peasants with pitchforks out here in flyover country having some fun with the self-anointed elites.
Phu Cat to Phu Quoc

Vietnam volunteer 2X, I have been to An Thoi and Cam Ranh Bay and I have been on several Swift Boats. http://vikingphoenix.com/forums.htm
Old 08-02-2004, 9:09 AM

Quote:
As for "photo-ops", so what? Isn't that the American way anymore?
Please clarify the item in bold print. Thank you.

Quote:
Even amongst us poor ole' commoners, when we set to go out for the evening, or attending a big ceremony of some sort, do we not get all gussied up and drag out the cameras for pictures of that?
You are confusing two different scenarios. I have no problems participating in photographs when others want to take them. However, I do not use others in photographs for advantage sake. Sure, politicians do this all the time, but Kerry going to Wendy's was simply a photo-op moment. It wasn't like he had a planned speech and was kissing babies before his departure. His bus made an stop at Wendy's, ordered meals, knowing full well they were not going to eat. How do we know this? They had a "nicer" $200 meal planned. No problem with wanting the nicer meal. However, to defend this as being acceptable behavior is just stupid. At least eat the meal with everyone else in the restaurant. I will give him credit. This was a cheap way to exploit the manager, staff, and patrons. I liken to an insurance salesman sitting at Denny's or a coffee shop waiting to solicit prospects.

I don't care if Heinz could identify a food item. This is the question you asked and I answered it.
Quote:
If you don't think you will like the response, don't ask the question.
Old 08-02-2004, 9:58 AM

Marks26th has disabled reputation
Default Beans

It is the typical liberal double standard, they get to ridicule and laugh at anyone who makes a harmless error and tell the world how uninformed and stupid that person is. But now, because it is their highly informed and enlightened working class billionaire, it is just a simple mistake, no big deal.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:26 AM

rachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the roughrachel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What bloody difference is it, that people with wealth eat for lunch or anything else? Does what they eat, make for political policy?
You're right Os, what they had for lunch is of no importance. What is of importance is that this "lunch at Wendy's" was all for show. Nobody here would give a rat's patootie what they had for lunch had Mr. Kerry not made it part of his campaign to make a show of it. If you don't see the hypocrisy of going out of his way to buy lunch at Wendy's, with no intention to eat it, simply to be shown in the papers as a "regular guy" who eats at Wendy's, I just don't know what to say. Except that I have strong suspicions that if it were President Bush making such a cheap ploy you wouldn't be defending it.

Quote:

Your liberal is showing Os. In that book I've mentioned before, the Liberal's Guide to Argument, (I can't remember the imaginary page number) I believe that tactic is right up there on the list. "If your side is accused, find someone on the other side to pass the accusation on to."

Vice President Cheney responded to an obnoxious colleague. Kerry verbally abused a Secret Service Agent because he was embarrassed by falling down on his skis.

http://www.drudgereport.com/kerryid2.htm

Using Cheney's comment as some sort of mitigation for Kerry's behavior towards a man who's only offense was that he may or may not have bumped into him is ridiculous.

Quote:
How many other wealthy inherited folks would that describe these days?
Is that the best defense you can come up with for Kerry's misdeeds? "Other people do it"? That is certainly true. But other people are not running for President of the United States Os. I don't care how many other politicians stage absurd shows to "suck up" to the common man, I don't care how many of the wealthy married into their money. I care about the fact that this man is aspiring to the highest office in the land and is about as smarmy as they come.

For the record, it's of no importance to me that Mrs. Kerry didn't know what chili was, or couldn't recognize it from the photo. She was born and raised elsewhere, I daresay there are dishes popular in South Africa that I wouldn't recognize.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:02 AM

Marks26th has disabled reputation
Default Beans

"I care about the fact that this man is aspiring to the highest office in the land and is about as smarmy as they come. "

That seems to be a fact that liberals want to avoid, good point, Rachel.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:57 AM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No! But when they lie and pretend to have common folk food so they can claim to be just like the common folk, that does make a political statement. Think of Gary Hart inviting the press to follow him. :cry:

Quote:
Vice President Cheney cussed the guy causing the problem, not some guy assigned to protect him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
How about that delicacy "Spam"?

Quote:
Yeah sure joe, the "common man", as if that meant anything other than creation of a division that is not necessarily existing, except in the minds of they who place money over substance.
Like John Kerry?

There was a story a few months ago where President Bush was hugging the daughter of one of the 9/11 victims. The press didn't catch it because it was not a photo op. Not everybody is phoney.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You're not seeing an issue, you're seeing we peasants with pitchforks out here in flyover country having some fun with the self-anointed elites.
Like so many other CEO's and politicians don't you think?

Quote:
Please clarify the item in bold print. Thank you.
"As for "photo-ops", so what? Isn't that the American way anymore?" Really need me to do that for you do you? Well, if the politician, any politician, is running for an office, any office, they will always take time for "photo ops".

Quote:
You are confusing two different scenarios. I have no problems participating in photographs when others want to take them. However, I do not use others in photographs for advantage sake.
Good for you Joe, good for you. But over the years, I have seen a lot of people, that whenever a big star comes around, or a politician of some repute, there are many who flock around with their cameras handed to a friend for purpose of getting their picture taken with that person. Maybe YOU don't do that, but others do.

Quote:
Sure, politicians do this all the time, but Kerry going to Wendy's was simply a photo-op moment.
So what is Kerry stuffed Cabbage? He is a politician right? So what would you expect?

Quote:
What is of importance is that this "lunch at Wendy's" was all for show.
And that says what, that no other politician has ever carried out such an act for show? And...
Quote:
Except that I have strong suspicions that if it were President Bush making such a cheap ploy you wouldn't be defending it.
Nice of you, once again, to offer your insight on what I would do or say. However, I can assure you, that whatever President Bush might do as a similar, does also not interest me.

Pay attention jt, the following is for you too!

Quote:
Vice President Cheney responded to an obnoxious colleague. Kerry verbally abused a Secret Service Agent because he was embarrassed by falling down on his skis.
And what did President Reagan tell the guy who shoved him into the limosine right after the first shot was fired at him? Thing of it is, that Kerry is being held to one set of rules, and another is for Cheney. Technically, they both lose their temper, and they both uttered the words that they did. And so did Reagan. I am not using their words as a mitigating factor, but more, since you seem to be overlooking it for some reason, your ability to defend one who cusses, and berate the other for cussing.

Quote:
A cheap hustler who had a few influential relatives and his spouse's money to get him started into the big time.
Quote:
Is that the best defense you can come up with for Kerry's misdeeds?
The reference was not as you put it, "misdeeds". It was to the comment about those who inherit wealth or who marry wealthy spouses.

jt
Quote:
No! But when they lie and pretend to have common folk food so they can claim to be just like the common folk, that does make a political statement. Think of Gary Hart inviting the press to follow him.
Nit picking these little things to death aren't we? Do you not have enough to talk about with all the issues on hand.

Quote:
There was a story a few months ago where President Bush was hugging the daughter of one of the 9/11 victims. The press didn't catch it because it was not a photo op. Not everybody is phoney.
I remember that one, it was in our local papers. Yeah sure, the press didn't catch it...uh huh.
Old 08-02-2004, 1:03 PM

Quote:
What is of importance is that this "lunch at Wendy's" was all for show.
Quote:
And that says what, that no other politician has ever carried out such an act for show? And...Quote:
Again with the "everybody does it" defense?

Quote:
Except that I have strong suspicions that if it were President Bush making such a cheap ploy you wouldn't be defending it.
Nice of you, once again, to offer your insight on what I would do or say. However, I can assure you, that whatever President Bush might do as a similar, does also not interest me.
Well Os, you were the one that brought up what other politicians do as though it mitigated the smarminess of Kerry's actions.

Quote:
And what did President Reagan tell the guy who shoved him into the limosine right after the first shot was fired at him?
Again with the tactic straight from "The Liberal's Guide to Argument" Os? We weren't discussing President Reagan, President Bush, Vice President Cheney, or Benjamin Franklin. We were discussing the actions of John F'ing Rude and Smarmy Kerry.

Quote:
Thing of it is, that Kerry is being held to one set of rules, and another is for Cheney.
So tell me Os, if somebody commits a crime, should the punishment for the crime be exactly the same regardless of any circumstances surrounding it? Should a murderer who kills in cold blood be given the exact same penalty as someone who accidentally shoots a man dead on a hunting trip?

Yes, I know we aren't talking about crimes or murder. But you are ignoring a very significant difference between the circumstances surrounding the statements made by Kerry and Cheney.

Let's see if reading this again will help...

Quote:
Or more simply: Cheney lost his temper with an antagonist, Kerry had a temper tantrum like a 5 year old in a school yard.

Quote:
your ability to defend one who cusses, and berate the other for cussing.
I don't believe I ever "defended" Cheney for cussing, because I really don't care that he did. I cuss, why should I care if he does? I wasn't berating Kerry for cussing, I was berating him for being insufferably rude, childish and abusive towards a man who did nothing to deserve it.

Quote:
The reference was not as you put it, "misdeeds". It was to the comment about those who inherit wealth or who marry wealthy spouses.
Ok. Is that the best defense you can come up with for Kerry's being a cheap hustler?

Quote:
Nit picking these little things to death aren't we? Do you not have enough to talk about with all the issues on hand.
Um, Os...I hesitate to point out the obvious, but you obviously find these little things worthy of your response time. :wink:
Old 08-02-2004, 1:32 PM

Response to Osi:

Quote:
Really need me to do that for you do you? Well, if the politician, any politician, is running for an office, any office, they will always take time for "photo ops".
I know what a "photo op" is, but you claimed it is the American Way. I am asking you to clarify that point. I don't think it's the American way, but it is the accepted way among politicians. Please try again.

Quote:
But over the years, I have seen a lot of people, that whenever a big star comes around, or a politician of some repute, there are many who flock around with their cameras handed to a friend for purpose of getting their picture taken with that person. Maybe YOU don't do that, but others do.
Again, you are confusing two different scenarios. I have no problem participating in photographs. I may stand next to an athlete, politician, movie star, etc, but that does not mean I am doing so for advantageous reasons. For Kerry to request his tour bus to go to Wendy's order food, knowing they are not going to eat it, but visit with the staff and patrons is not doing what the common man does. He said he wanted to put his words to action during his acceptance speech. Well, he claims to be the common man, but his actions did not display that fact. Then again, maybe he still wants too, but hasn't figured it out yet. At the least, he should have sat down and ate his meal with everyone else. I have no problem with him mingling if does that.

Quote:
So what is Kerry stuffed Cabbage?
Good description.