Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > News and Politics > Politics
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 5:16 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all
Default Round 3. Ready? Fight!

The rumble in Orlando, Florida is going down tonight. Coverage begins at 8:30PM Eastern time on Fox News, and will also be streamed live here.

It should be worth watching. It's almost certain to get ugly.
Old 09-22-2011, 5:54 PM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

You can get a head start at www.youtube.com/foxnews.
Old 09-22-2011, 6:15 PM
Post no bills

toobdoow has disabled reputation

Thanks for the reminder...today was rifle range day and I generally have nothing on my mind except shooting on range day...I even have to set the alarm on my cell phone to make sure I pack up and get home in time for supper so I don't anger someone I dare not name.
Old 09-22-2011, 6:44 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

debate is late in starting, but I am thoroughly enjoying the "tech talk" going on.

we truly live in most interesting times!
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: The Three Laws will lead to only one logical outcome.
Detective Del Spooner: What outcome?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: Revolution.
Detective Del Spooner: Whose revolution?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 09-22-2011, 7:15 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

On the other hand, this Fox News Google love fest is bothering me
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 09-22-2011, 7:16 PM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

You mean Google could fold?
Old 09-22-2011, 8:02 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdc View Post
You mean Google could fold?
Worse. They could achieve all they are trying to achieve.

Check out Steven Levy's fascinating book In The Plex.
Old 09-22-2011, 8:04 PM
Post no bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemused View Post
Worse. They could achieve all they are trying to achieve.

Check out Steven Levy's fascinating book In The Plex.
Synopsis please.
Old 09-22-2011, 8:50 PM
Regular Guy

FoundingFather has disabled reputation

Line of the night from Gary Johnson:

"My neighbor's two dogs have created more shovel-ready jobs than the Obama administration"
Old 09-22-2011, 8:59 PM
Post no bills

Initial impression(s)

Although the moderators did a fair job of involving everyone, it appeared to be primarily a Perry/Romney debate.

The audience seemed to think so also...strongest responses for those two.

All the candidates gave (some) responses I wanted to hear, but those are just words...I'm looking for the records.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:01 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdoow View Post
Synopsis please.
Source

From Publishers Weekly
The contradictions of the Internet search behemoth are teased apart in this engaging, slightly starry-eyed business history. Wired magazine writer Levy (Hackers) insightfully recaps Google's groundbreaking search engine and fabulously profitable online ad–brokering business, and elucidates the cutting-edge research and hard-nosed cost-efficiencies underlying them. He also regales readers with the "Googley" corporate culture of hip techno-capitalism: the elitist focus on braininess, the campus game rooms, the countercultural rectitude of billionaire founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin (which can read more like puerile arrogance as they roller-blade into meetings with business-suited squares). Levy's narrative updates a familiar portrait of the company, with breathless accounts of recent innovations. He offers a smart analysis of the tensions between Google's "âÇÿDon't Be Evil'" slogan and its censorship of its Chinese Web site and the privacy implications of its drive to sponge up all information—but he accepts Google's blinkered conception of e-ethics and its demands for huge tax breaks with too much complacency. (Apr.)
(c) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.

I would add that the last chapter, detailing Google's efforts in politics, including driving Obama fundraising, should be required reading.

Google collects volumes of information about all of us. So what, you say? They are a private company. Yes a private company whose records can be subpoenaed by government. Yes a private company who has already cooperated with China to censor information the Chinese government deemed inappropriate for their citizens to know. Yes a private company all too willing to work with the Obama administration to make government information gathering Google efficient.

Yes I is skeered of Google.

Good book to help one understand what is happening and the changes this society is going through.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:05 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdoow View Post
Initial impression(s)

Although the moderators did a fair job of involving everyone, it appeared to be primarily a Perry/Romney debate.

The audience seemed to think so also...strongest responses for those two.

All the candidates gave (some) responses I wanted to hear, but those are just words...I'm looking for the records.
My opinion: Perry is hispandering. He seems to think that to be soft on a number of issues regarding illegals will get him more votes from the Hispanic community.

He is wrong. Just ask Governor Meg Whitman of California. Conservative Hispanics will vote republican. The radical anti American Hispanic interest groups will never vote republican no matter how much a candidate hispanders.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:07 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

Post-debate analysis...

Perry needs to be locked in a room for a week and taught how to debate. He came off badly, looked pitiful when attempting to attack Romney and didn't defend himself very well. One more performance like this and he might as well chuck it in.

Romney came off slick, like something fresh squeezed. It's becoming obvious that he or Huntsman (or Christie, if he gets in) are the establishment's favorites. I disliked him in 2008, I dislike him even more now.

Bachmann avoided most of the pitfalls she stumbled into in the last debate and stuck, for the most part, to a positive message. Otherwise, meh.

Ron Paul wasn't asked about any of his fruitcake positions, so he came off fairly sane.

Gingrich was cerebral, as usual. Seems to be running for something other that President, though.

Johnson... who?

Santorum sounded pretty good. Came off well when stating his positions, not so well when going negative.

Huntsman should be running in the Democrat primary.

Cain may have been the winner. No stumbles, solid answers, comes off as knowledgeable and decisive.

All-in-all a good debate.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:26 PM
-

GeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the rough

Perry cannot be a conservative when he hauls out La Raza talking points on immigration.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ts_594080.html

Quote:
"If you say that we should not educate children who come into our state for no other reason than that they've been brought their through no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart," Perry said
We need a real conservative in this race.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:48 PM

BoomerSue is a jewel in the roughBoomerSue is a jewel in the roughBoomerSue is a jewel in the rough

QUOTE from FOUNDING FATHER:
Line of the night from Gary Johnson:
"My neighbor's two dogs have created more shovel-ready jobs than the Obama administration"

OH MY GOSH! That was NOT Gary Johnsons's line!!! He stole it from Rush Limbaugh! I heard Rush say that about his own dogs on his show today!!!! He has been plagerized again!!! :>)
Old 09-22-2011, 9:57 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeronL View Post
Perry cannot be a conservative when he hauls out La Raza talking points on immigration.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ts_594080.html

We need a real conservative in this race.
I'm with you on this one. Th more I see and hear Perry, the less I trust him. Wheeler dealer, good old boy, but stumbled around when called on specifics. He is hispandering (pandering to Hispanics) and his answers tonight on that forced inoculation thing just rubbed me the wrong way. Oh sure he was lobbied by a big drug company, but the real reason he signed the law was because of a poor young lady who asked him to do it so young girls would not catch the illness. Yeah right, Perry.

I'm starting to see a bit of Clinton in Perry. Nowhere near as slick, but every bit as untrustworthy. IMHO.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
-

GeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the rough

He is not a conservative, he parrots conservatives sometimes. He does not have conservative instincts at all.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM
-

I think the heartless comment is going to HURT, especially since he started off saying he had high respect for Obama. What a comparison for conservative voters.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Perry's line about erring on the side of life always doesn't square with his callus about not losing sleep over wrongfully executed convicts.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Regular Guy

FoundingFather has disabled reputation

Just as an aside, am I the only one who gets annoyed when they don't answer the question that was asked?

You know they've been coached to do that, but c'mon dammit, answer a question direct and to the point for a change!