Goldtalk Forum  

Go Back   Goldtalk Forum > News and Politics > Religion
Portal FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 1:38 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
Default Is Mormonism a Cult?

Pastor Jeffress of First Baptist Dallas made this statement yesterday at a "Values Voter" conference. Endorsed Perry.

Sorry for a group to be a cult it must make it difficult or near impossible to leave the group. LDS doesn't restrict people's comings and goings. We may have serious theological differences. I certainly do. But, it is counter productive to label LDS a cult.
If you don't have lots of soul

Doug Sahm
Old 10-08-2011, 3:19 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Pastor Jeffress of First Baptist Dallas made this statement yesterday at a "Values Voter" conference. Endorsed Perry.

Sorry for a group to be a cult it must make it difficult or near impossible to leave the group. LDS doesn't restrict people's comings and goings. We may have serious theological differences. I certainly do. But, it is counter productive to label LDS a cult.
My opinion is that to many people concern themselves with this kind of question.

I know jack about core Morman beliefs. I DO know that the Book of Morman "history" of the 10 lost Tribes paddling their canoes across the Atlantic to become Native Americans is crap. And that there is plenty in The Bible, Old Testament and New, that is crap.

That said, there is very little, in my mind, in either work, that causes me to disbelieve the core principles.
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: The Three Laws will lead to only one logical outcome.
Detective Del Spooner: What outcome?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: Revolution.
Detective Del Spooner: Whose revolution?
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 10-08-2011, 3:51 PM

jtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to beholdjtdc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Sorry for a group to be a cult it must make it difficult or near impossible to leave the group.
I guess that describes Muslim.
Old 10-12-2011, 7:51 PM
The Host

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold

I have done shows with ex Mormon, Tricia Erickson. She sure can stir it up.

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Rifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to allRifleman is a name known to all

Quote:

Certainly that would apply to the Mormon "Spinoffs", the ones that still practice polygamy in spite of it being against the law. It seems "girls' are the ones that can't leave, the boys are "driven out". But I am quite sure Romney isn't in one of "those".

Personally, Romney seems to elevate the Mormon Church, I just don;t thin he is Conservative enough. The LDS should be embarressed for Harry Reid, the guy is a crook who gets away with very profitable but shady land deals, because he was a mere Snetaor, but is now in charge of the Senate.

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Obama simply wants to be the one wearing the "boot".
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM

bond has disabled reputation

Perhaps people here need to take a broader view of Roberts "Js"Narrow view of who he thinks fits into the Christian template.
Old 10-19-2011, 3:29 PM
The Host

Evangelical criticism of LDS is nothing compared what the secular left will jump on in regard to Romney.

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 10-20-2011, 5:37 PM
-

GeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the roughGeronL is a jewel in the rough

The LDS calls every other Christian denomination "heathens" so they might be a cult. They don't believe that Jesus is the only son of God and there is only one God, they have secret rituals....

So.... I guess they would qualify as a cult in the Christian sense.
Old 11-12-2011, 2:20 PM

wancow has a spectacular aura aboutwancow has a spectacular aura aboutwancow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemused View Post
And that there is plenty in The Bible, Old Testament and New, that is crap..
I don't disagree with you on Mormanism, though, like you, I know very little about it so I'm ignorant enough to not be able to disagree...

But would you mind giving me an example from the Bible that would justify the statement you made on it containing crap?
Old 11-12-2011, 2:26 PM

wancow has a spectacular aura aboutwancow has a spectacular aura aboutwancow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Certainly that would apply to the Mormon "Spinoffs", the ones that still practice polygamy in spite of it being against the law.
Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878), which made Polygamy illegal for all time, is one of the most egregious examples of Judicial Activism in the history of SCOTUS. It is eminently challengeable under the strict constructionist view of Constitutional Power.

State and local laws forbidding Polygamy are questionable in their legality especially after Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925).
Old 11-12-2011, 4:30 PM
Rage against The Machine

Bemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to allBemused is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wancow View Post
Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878), which made Polygamy illegal for all time, is one of the most egregious examples of Judicial Activism in the history of SCOTUS. It is eminently challengeable under the strict constructionist view of Constitutional Power.

State and local laws forbidding Polygamy are questionable in their legality especially after Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925).
Kewl! Wait 'til I tell the wife!
Dr. Lanning's Hologram: [Smiles] That, detective, is the right question. Program terminated.
Old 11-12-2011, 4:48 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wancow View Post
I don't disagree with you on Mormanism, though, like you, I know very little about it so I'm ignorant enough to not be able to disagree...

But would you mind giving me an example from the Bible that would justify the statement you made on it containing crap?
For example, the pillars that hold up the firmament (described in Job)

For example, the Book of Revelation, the last book to be accepted as Canon, as a result of the Council of Carthage in 397 presided over by whom? Oh that's right, none other than Augustine, that Manichean who introduced so many heretical beliefs into Christianity that are not supported by the teachings of Jesus. Not surprising, since Augustine needed Revelations to be the word of God in order to support his theology of everlasting punishment.

BTW, I applaud the Mormons for their devotion to that wonderful Christian tradition of feeding the poor. As do many Christian denominations. That, at least, is in accordance with the practices of those Christians who knew Jesus personally, or who knew those who themselves knew Jesus. that is all that should matter, IMHO.

Old 11-12-2011, 5:36 PM
Super Moderator

dcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud ofdcannady has much to be proud of

Joseph Smith was visited by the angel Moroni who told him where to find some golden plates with divinely inspired scriptures written on them, but he would have to use the two stones that were with them to translate the scriptures into English. He was not allowed to let anyone else see the plates except for three "witnesses". For some reason he had to return the plates to Moroni so we must take their word for it. He put the plates on the floor and the two stones in a hat and put his face in to read the plates and dictated the sciptures to a person who would write down what he read.
Old 11-12-2011, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemused View Post
For example, the pillars that hold up the firmament (described in Job)

For example, the Book of Revelation, the last book to be accepted as Canon, as a result of the Council of Carthage in 397 presided over by whom? Oh that's right, none other than Augustine, that Manichean who introduced so many heretical beliefs into Christianity that are not supported by the teachings of Jesus. Not surprising, since Augustine needed Revelations to be the word of God in order to support his theology of everlasting punishment.

BTW, I applaud the Mormons for their devotion to that wonderful Christian tradition of feeding the poor. As do many Christian denominations. That, at least, is in accordance with the practices of those Christians who knew Jesus personally, or who knew those who themselves knew Jesus. that is all that should matter, IMHO.

Interesting! Actually, that's a revelation to ME! I was not aware that Augustine was involved at all in making any part of the Bible cannon. It is certainly enough to question the inclusion of the Book of Revelation.
Old 11-12-2011, 6:14 PM
Founding Member!

Mad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to allMad_Dog is a name known to all

Is Mormonism a Cult? No.
Are some Mormons cultists? Yes.
Old 01-03-2012, 3:28 PM
The Host

Romney’s religion still a sticking point

SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 01-17-2012, 3:19 PM
The Host

They’re relevant again. If he wins the presidency, Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and Mormon bishop, would not be the first president to confess a historically disfavored faith. But Romney would be the first who belongs to a church that the U.S. government actually tried to crush.
SOURCE

Doug Sahm
Old 01-17-2012, 6:13 PM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
They’re relevant again. If he wins the presidency, Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and Mormon bishop, would not be the first president to confess a historically disfavored faith. But Romney would be the first who belongs to a church that the U.S. government actually tried to crush.
SOURCE
First of all, what gave the feds the right to "crush" any religion?

Second, what is this anti Mormon bigotry that continues to be preached on many right wing websites?

I speak as a Catholic who grew up in the 50's and remember well the anti Catholic bigotry of the times.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Daisy has disabled reputation

Bemused, I agree, I too am Catholic, I also remember how many were upset that JFK, if elected would have the pope demand everyone convert. Nothing changes on this topic too many folks believe the nonsense.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Rage against The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Certainly that would apply to the Mormon "Spinoffs", the ones that still practice polygamy in spite of it being against the law. It seems "girls' are the ones that can't leave, the boys are "driven out". But I am quite sure Romney isn't in one of "those".

Personally, Romney seems to elevate the Mormon Church, I just don;t thin he is Conservative enough. The LDS should be embarressed for Harry Reid, the guy is a crook who gets away with very profitable but shady land deals, because he was a mere Snetaor, but is now in charge of the Senate.
So where in the Constitution does it forbid polygamy?

So where in the Constitution does it say that Government has the right to regulate marriage? Or the religious definition of marriage?

I agree with you in everything else in this post. I continue to ask any and all why they think that Government has any say in marriage, the practice of marriage, and the definition of marriage by ANY religion.

If nothing else, the 9th Amendment applies. Just because the right ins't enumerated, that does NOT mean that the right does not exist.

JMHO